Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's a Party!

Every year, about this time Alexa and I spend a Sunday afternoon helping out on Dwight and Bonnie Sanders' farm. For what reason, you may ask? To transform their yard from your typical farmhouse, to that of a pumpkin farm.

Alexa and I spent a few hours out there this afternoon helping to pick pumpkins in the field, place them (gently) in the truck and haul them back to the house. I think I heard before we left that there ended up being 37 truck loads brought onto the farm from the field, including big pumpkins, small pumpkins, squash and gourds. It was a great time (and very hard work), but we had a lot of fun! It's something that we look forward to each year, as a reminder that fall is just around the corner. So here is a look at our day through a few pictures:

Here is Alexa enjoying the perfect day, carrying her pumpkin to the truck.

Here is part of the pumpkin-picking crew.

Alexa, loading pumpkins in the truck to Jason.

My job-title... pumpkin catcher. I was on the truck all day
catching pumpkins and (carefully) placing them in the truck.

Alexa, again carrying pumpkins to the truck.

Here is one of my masterfully loaded trucks looked like when we were finished.
We did about 6 loads similar to this during the afternoon.

Here are a few pictures to show you what the farm looks like
after we get through with the fall-season transformation!




If your interested in visiting their farm this fall, here is a map of where they are located. We definitely had a great time again this year and look forward to returning to pick out our first pumpkins for our house!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! It was a perfect day out there today :) I wonder how many pumpkins there actually were!
Alexa~Thanks for the heads up about Crazy Love at church. I'd love to do it with the group, I'm just feeling a little overextended right now:) It's an awesome book and it's going to change lives I'm guessing!

On an unrelated note.. When I was reading thru some blogs posts I saw you mentioned SALT at Iowa State. I have a Christian cousin who just started there and is so nervous and doesn't have many friends. She is so scared to get involved in anything for fear it will not be good for her. I've heard SALT mentioned by others but know nothing about it. Can you tell me anything about it? I really should have read that before today and I could have just asked you in between pick up loads of pumpkins ;)

My email is fireflyphotojewelry@yahoo.com if that is easier. Thanks!!!!