Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Aloha...

We made it back from our lovely honeymoon to the Big Island of Hawaii. It was an amazing trip full of many stories of course. The trip in itself is a do again. If anyone desires and active vacation (I know that is an oxymoron to some) I would definitely recommend going with Backroads (click here). Although I'm not going to lie, it was tough and I would train more next time. I only thought I was going to die a couple of times and I only had to walk my bike up the mountain once. Which I must say I thought was pretty good. But I will reiterate that the trip was amazing!

We got to bike along the coast and around the rim of a volcano. We got to hike into a volcanic crater and through lava tubes (not my favorite part as I am a bit claustrophobic but very cool in itself). We got to kayak in the ocean where we encountered a school of dolphins and snorkeled with them in the water. We got to snorkel and cliff jump (which was a bit scary for me, but apparently not for Payton as he did it numerous times from the highest possible point of course). And yes we did lay on the beach and by the pool although, we never did it long as Payton and I always got bored. But we did relax somewhat, the last day I guess.

Here are a few pictures and narrative of our trip....

Payton body-surfing on the waves...

A beautiful sunset...


The girls happy to make it up the mountain (7 miles, 1500ft elevation gain)...

Fresh bananas straight from the tree...

Two lovebirds on an adventure on their bikes...

Cooled lava...

Enjoying the black sand beach...

The beautiful Hapuna beach (out our hotel window)...



Preparing for our kayaking adventure...


The backroads van (the van that hauled us around all week)...

On our way, (4024 feet down, 32 miles) to the beach...

The volcano venting poisonous gases behind us...



One of the many sea turtles we found sunning on the beach...


Another beautiful sunset...


Dressed up for dinner...

The wonderful, delicious food...




The bike...


The beautiful lookouts...

Snorkeling...


Lounging on the beach...



The volcanic crater...
Waterfalls...


And yet another sunset...
Payton, trying to be a native (he needs a little more sun)...

Pictures don't do this island justice. It was a great time and we hope to have the opportunity to go back some day!

MAHALO!

2 comments:

Andy said...

I am so freaking unbelievably jealous! I laughed so hard at the last comment about Payton's whiteness by the way:) Glad you both had a great time!

Whitney said...

Scuba Steve!!!