Friday, April 24, 2009

SOFTBALL CHAMPS

Well it's that time of year again at ISU, softball intramural time. This was my first time playing a competitive intramural at ISU. I usually stick with the milers club where all I have to do is log the miles I run/walk. Not to challenging. But this on the other hand was a hole new ballpark for me (no pun intended).
Anyways, my beloved roommate Courtney and Payton's roommate Dane decided to put together a co-ed "slowpitch" softball team. Well all was well, until Courtney thought it would be a good idea if I played on the team. Well you see, I don't play softball, I havne't in years... so I told her that they didn't want me on the team, that it wasn't my thing.
It turns out they talked me into it and I got Payton to play thinking he could make up for my mistakes. So over the past few weeks the team has played a few games and won both. I on the other hand had to work so I was unable to attend the first two games. But they made it to the championship and I guess I had the privilege of playing.
So I got all suited up (not really) and headed to the field. Courtney let me borrow a glove and I can tell you I only threw the ball a couple of times and then I was done. My shoulder just couldn't take it. I know, I know baby right, well it was all okay because I talked them out of making me play on the field. Even though it was slowpitch that ball was flying pretty fast. So I chickened out, but I did have to bat.
So the team was doing really well, we were up by quite a few runs. So I guess I didn't feel too bad if I struck out, and thats just what I did. It was my turn up to bat, there were already 2 outs and I swung twice and missed both times. The picture proves the swing.


And the miss as you can see the ball still sitting over the plate.. Whoops...

But my excuse is that no one told me the rules. I guess ISU rules are you start with 1 strike and 1 ball. So really I swung twice and got out. I just didn't think it was fair. I guess you should find out the rules before you try and play.

Anyways, the game when on, we kept winning. Payton slid for what I thought was no apparent reason. He had a few errors but that is to be expected with Payton, right! Then it was our turn to bat again, and of course I had to bat one last time. This time Andy (Payton's roommate) told me not to swing at anything, just stand there. (I mean what is he thinking I have a bad swing?) Anyways, that's what I did, I just stood there and I managed to get on base. Amazing how that works.

It turns out I ended up trying to run home and got out. I blame that one on Andy and Payton, since Andy told me to run and Payton didn't hit a good ball to get me home. But I ended my part of the game with that. The team ended up winning! Our team is now intramural champions of the A league. Thats right A league. We are top notch....

Here are a few pictures from the game. And of course of the winning team.




No comments: