Monday, April 20, 2009

It's a Boy....

Payton and I are proud to announce the arrival of our first baby boy, Kip!

As the story begins, Payton's roommate Andy a few months ago got me started looking on petfinder.com for a dog. You may also remember the previous post about this subject. Anyways, so I looked every once in a while and of course always found a dog I liked. So every time I would get all excited thinking that I had found the one and then I would call just to hear that the dog already got adopted. So I would wait a few weeks and then look again.
Well one day Payton told me "you know, the dog you are going to get is the one that is still there when you call." Well it just so happens that very same day I found a dog I liked and called, not thinking he would be there and guess what?!? HE WAS THERE!
So I e-mailed my mom and dad and told them how much I loved this dog (even though I had only saw pictures) and convinced that they would only have to take care of it for a couple of weeks and then it would be all our responsiblity. They said they would take care of it and so I got the okay to get the absolutely adorable dog.
So this past Friday, Payton and I drove 2 and 1/5 hours from Ames, Iowa to Fairmont Minnesota to meet Kip and potentially take him home. Well we got there and of course we both instantly fell in love with him.


I mean how couldn't you take that face home. We officially adopted our very first puppy. Then we drove 3 hours back to Vinton to take him to my parents house. We got to spend the weekend with him, to begin potty training him and teaching him other rules of the house. He only had a few accidents (to be expected as he had never been inside a house before) and he made a new friend Moses (our family dog). He is officially attached to Moses and does everything he does good or not. I mean he is the biggest copy cat. I keep hoping that Moses will teach him a few good tricks, but we will see how that goes. Anyways, here are a few more pictures of our new pup.


We have had much debate over what kind of dog it is...
The pound told us he was some kind of lab mixture...
Our neighbor who is a vet told us that maybe he had a little coonhound and pointer in him...
Many have said he has a beagle face...

No matter what he is adorable and I love him. Although I am going with the coonhound because of the unportionally large ears and the little bit of spittle he gets going after he eats or drinks. I think we may have a little drooler on our hands.
The pound also told us he was going to be about 60-70 lbs... Good size right.
Well if you look at the size of his paws and compare them to our 87 pound dog Moses, they are the exact same size. And as our neighbor vet told us, she believed he would be larger than our 87 pound dog. Maybe 80-90 lbs or larger. Right now at four months he is 42 pounds. So I could see him making it to the high 80's. But I guess size doesn't matter to me, I will love him no matter how big he gets.

So now he is at home, hopefully being good for my parents. I'm hoping he figures out this potty training thing before I take full responsibility for him. We will see...

No comments: