Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Being a Mentor

Last year in the fall I was introduced to Youth and Shelter Services of Ames and their mentoring program called GRIP which stands for Great Relationships in Pairs. After going through the application and interview process I was given a 4th grader named Devaughn. For the past two semesters I have been going to the elementary school once a week for about 45 minutes to go to recess and eat lunch with him. It has been a great experience and I wouldn't give up that time each week for anything else.

So in the mentoring spirit, I thought I would share a few of the candid things Devaughn has said over the times we've spent together.

P: What is your favorite food?
D: Fried chicken and shrimp fried rice.

P: What do you want to be in the future?
D: A professional basketball player.

P: What are your hobbies?
D: What are hobbies?
P: Things you like to do in your free time.
D: Crack my knuckles.
P: That's it?
D: Well, I like to look cross-eyed too.

There are no shortages of fun times when we get together each week. Last year we spent most of our time during recess playing basketball, but this year he wants nothing to do with a basketball because it's football season. So we have been playing football each week. We go outside and play for about 10 minutes before anyone else gets to come out and then when recess starts we play a big game of 2 hand touch between the 4th graders and 5th graders. It gets a little rough sometimes, but I haven't seen anyone hurt yet. Below are a few pictures I took during my last visit.
Above is a picture of the overall game. Devaughn is standing on the left side with the white pants and white hat on. Below is a picture of Devaughn being overthrown going into the end zone (the cement). He was disappointed that he couldn't have caught the ball so I could get a good picture of him.
Mentoring for me has been a great break from the ups and downs that college life has brought and I look forward to spending my last year here with Devaughn playing football and i'm sure basketball in the near future each week, while I help to be a role model that he can look up to for answers and advice.

No comments: