Thursday, November 6, 2008

Starting a career...

After coming to ISU in the fall of 2006 I joined as an undecided engineering student. I was trying to decide between Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. After taking an introductory class to engineering in general I was exposed to each of the engineering disciplines and it made it an easy decision to pick Mechanical Engineering as my major.

Shortly after making the choice to go into Mechanical Engineering due to the variety of possible jobs that I could have I attended my first ever career fair. If you have never been to an Engineering Career fair let me try to show you how it looks and feels. With over 300 possible employers and just under 1000 recruiters that come to this career fair just the sheer size and number of people is intimidating as you can imagine from below.

After going through all the various options for employers I left feeling satisfied that I might get some calls back for possible internship opportunities. It didn't take long and I got my first call for an on-site interview with Terex | Cedarapids (www.cedarapids.com). After my on-site tour and interview I felt very confident that I might receive an offer. I tried not to get my hopes up, but a week later I received a call that they were impressed with my resume and job experience and were willing to give me an internship opportunity for the following summer.

The experience I received from the internship has been great and it has made the classes I am taking more real and easier to see applications to classroom problems. I spent most of the summer working on a portable rock-crushing plant. At the end of the summer I was asked to come back again and accepted.
So this past summer I continued my work experience in Cedarapids working for Terex. I got to do many things this summer I never imagined. Shortly after joining for the summer there were some issues for a new set of plants that were in operation out in Utah and I was given tasks to fix the design to solve these problems. The best part of it all was the chance I had to take a trip out to the Salt Lake City area and spend a week working on the machines to fix the issues that came up. It was a very difficult week, working about 14 hr/day in the 90-100+ degree heat, but the experience I had was invaluable. After returning I was able to spend more time making design changes to the plants being manufactured, which also allowed me to spend a lot of time in the shop overseeing the changes made. This gave me a lot of experience in overseeing a project to completion as I was able to see the equipment make its way to Australia.
It has been a great place to work and has been great being able to live at home and still be able to have a great job. About halfway through the summer I was offered a full-time position with Terex and I happily accepted it at the end of my summer. So it continues the journey Alexa and I are on, with being engaged and knowing what my job will be. It also tells us the area we will be living in which I'm sure will lead to more blog posts in the future to update you as we make plans for that future area of our lives.

No comments: